Police chief to speak at Women’s Chamber meeting

Ellen Hanson, Kansas City, Kan., interim chief of police, will be the guest speaker on Wednesday, June 11, at the meeting of the KCK Women’s Chamber of Commerce.

Hanson is the retired chief of police of Lenexa, Kan., and interim chief in Kansas City, Kan. She will speak about her career and how she succeeded in a male-dominated field.

The networking session is from 11:30 a.m. to noon followed by lunch and program from noon to 1 p.m. June 11 at Dave and Busters, The Legends Outlets, Village West.

The cost for lunch is $20 for members and $25 for nonmembers. There will be a fundraiser for the scholarship fund.

Guests are welcome, but reservations are required by emailing Barbara Newby at btnewbyks@gmail.com or calling 913-485-1208 or Ardith Deason at deason_a@wmhci.org -telephone, 913-233-3305.

Chance of storms Wednesday evening through weekend

National Weather Service graphic
There will be low chances for thunderstorms each day heading into the weekend, according to the National Weather Service forecast.

The storms likely will be scattered in nature, but given the persistent warm and humid conditions, strong to even severe storms can’t be ruled out. Today, a few strong to severe storms are possible, and a slight risk for storms is in place for a narrow corridor along I-70.

The primary risks are damaging downburst winds along with large hail.

There is a 20 percent chance of storms from 4 p.m. to 10 p.m. Wednesday. The risks include downburst winds, large hail and localized heavy rain.

After 10 p.m. Wednesday, there is a 50 percent chance of showers and storms.

Thursday, there is a 40 percent chance of rain, with a high near 81. Thursday night, there is a 50 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms.

For Memorial Day weekend, the weather outlook is 78 degrees on Friday with a 25 percent chance of rain; 78 degrees Saturday with a 50 percent chance of rain; 82 degrees Sunday with a 25 percent chance of rain; and 81 degrees Monday with a 40 percent chance of rain.

National Weather Service graphic

National Weather Service graphic

Johnson-Cage promoted to lieutenant colonel

Lt. Col. Constance Johnson-Cage
Constance C. Johnson-Cage has been selected for promotion to the rank of lieutenant colonel in the U.S. Air Force.
Johnson-Cage is currently serving as Force Support Squadron Commander with 908th Airlift Wing, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala. She has served in the military for 28 years.
Johnson-Cage is the daughter of Dr. Ola B. Jones of Kansas City, Mo., and the wife of Andrew B. Cage of Kansas City, Kan.
She is a 1985 graduate of Bishop Hogan High School, Kansas City, Mo., and earned a Master of Science in 2002 from Baker University, Baldwin City, Kan.