Scattered thunderstorms, rain possible

Scattered thunderstorms possible (National Weather Service graphic)

Scattered thunderstorms are possible Friday, according to the National Weather Service.

A stalled frontal boundary across southern Missouri, combined with a system lingering over the southwestern United States, will keep a persistent chance for thunderstorms in the region each of the days through the Memorial Day weekend.

These storms likely will be scattered in nature, but given the persistent warm and humid conditions, strong to even severe storms can’t be ruled out.

An outflow boundary from morning storms may allow redevelopment later this afternoon along a line from Wichita to Clinton and Rolla. This corridor has the highest potential for strong to severe storms later today. Further north, elevated storms may pulse up and down but will remain under severe limits.

Non-severe storms are anticipated into this weekend, with the highest potential tonight through midday Saturday. Rain will be scattered in nature, and not all areas will see rain, according to the weather service.

Friday’s high will be 78, with a 20 percent chance of rain. Saturday, the high will be 77, with a 60 percent chance of storms. Sunday, the high will be 82 with a 40 percent chance of storms, and Monday, Memorial Day, the temperature will reach 82 with a 40 percent chance of storms.

Thunderstorm outlook Saturday and Sunday (National Weather Service graphic)

Memorial Day weekend rain chances (National Weather Service graphic)

Sporting KC takes on Toronto Friday in KCK

Sporting Kansas City (5-4-2) plays host to Eastern Conference opponent Toronto FC (4-4-0) at 7:30 p.m. on Friday at Sporting Park in Kansas City, Kan.

The match will be broadcast on KMCI 38 The Spot and SKCTV with coverage beginning at 7 p.m., as well as on Univision Deportes nationally in Spanish. A limited number of tickets are available for fans to view the match live from Sporting Park and those can be obtained by visiting

Friday’s match is one of seven in the month of May for manager Peter Vermes’ side and the first of two at home during a five-day span. Sporting KC will welcome the New York Red Bulls at 7 p.m. on Tuesday at Sporting Park in a clash of the top two teams from the 2013 MLS regular season.

Heading into Friday’s contest, Sporting KC sits in third place of the Eastern Conference despite dropping back-to-back matches for the first time since August of 2013. Most recently, Sporting KC fell 2-1 at Chicago after conceding two first half goals from the penalty spot and playing a man down for the final 26 minutes of the match.

Dom Dwyer put the visitors on the board with his 68th minute goal, just four minutes after 17-year-old centerback Erik Palmer-Brown was ejected for his second yellow card. Palmer-Brown became the youngest player in MLS history to start a match on defense and will miss Friday’s match as he serves his mandatory one-game suspension.

Dwyer leads Sporting KC in goals this season with eight, one behind League leader Bradley Wright-Phillips (9) for goals scored in MLS in 2014.

Toronto FC is seeking its first postseason berth in 2014 and was extremely active in the offseaon after the hiring of new general manager Tim Bezbatchenko, who spent the past three years as the senior director of player relations and competition with MLS. Bezbatchenko played a major role in acquiring three new designated players: U.S. Men’s National Team standout Michael Bradley, former West Ham United FC striker Jermain Defoe and Brazilian striker Gilberto. Defoe leads the team in goals scored with four this season, including the game-winner in Toronto FC’s 2-0 victory on Saturday over the New York Red Bulls, while Gilberto is seeking his first goal of the season.

U.S. Soccer announced its final roster for the 2014 FIFA World Cup Thursday, with Bradley selected alongside Sporting KC’s Matt Besler and Graham Zusi on the 23-player squad. All three are with the National Team in Palo Alto, Calif., and will be unavailable for Friday’s MLS match-up.

– Information from Sporting KC

Death after traffic stop is under investigation

A death after a traffic stop is under investigation, according to a Kansas City, Kan., police spokesman.

Police officers stopped a car for a traffic violation about 6:10 a.m. May 22 in the 500 block of Stewart Avenue.

The man, an adult, was wanted on criminal charges, a spokesman said. During the traffic stop, the man attempted to flee and resisted officers’ attempts to take him into custody, the police spokesman said.

After a brief struggle, officers saw that he needed medical attention and rendered aid, while calling for emergency medical personnel to respond, according to the spokesman.

The man was taken to a hospital, where he was later pronounced dead, the spokesman said.

The identity of the man is being withheld pending positive identification and family notification. The incident is under investigation by the Kansas City, Kan., Police Department’s major case unit.