The 20th annual 2019 Wyandotte County Back-to-School Fair will be held from 8 a.m. to noon Saturday, Aug. 3, at the KCKCC Community College – Main Campus, 7250 State Ave., Kansas City, Kansas.
The fair is held for students who live in Wyandotte County that attend school (both public and private). Parents are required to provide proof of Wyandotte County residence. Parents and their children are invited to stop by for free school supplies. Free immunizations, physical exams, eye exams and free haircuts will also be offered.
In addition to supplies, immunizations and physical exams, parents will have the opportunity to visit with representatives from a variety of community organizations who will offer information on services.
“Families attending will be able to experience a one-stop-shop for information to support them and their children,” said Arlana Coleman, Planning Committee chair. “We are fortunate to have several organizations who help plan and organize this fair that greatly benefits Wyandotte County families.”
Parents are required to bring proof of residence in Wyandotte County, such as driver’s license or a utility bill, and children must be accompanied by their parents at the fair.
For more information, individuals may visit www.facebook.com/WyandotteCountyBackToSchoolFair.
The planning group indicated it could not provide these services without support from in-kind contributions from the following organizations.
• Carter Broadcast Group
• Cube Passes, who provide the wristbands
• First Hand Foundation provided free eye glass exams and glasses
• Mc Donald’s, who provides the backpacks
• Kansas City Downtown Lions do the eye screening
• Kansas City Kansas Community College provides the venue
• Kansas City, Kansas, Public Library provides the books
• Kansas City, Kansas, Public Schools provide food services
• KCWE Hearst TV
• Life Style Beauty provided the hair styling
• Unified Government Public Health Department provides the immunizations
• United Way of Wyandotte County is the fiscal partner and manages volunteers
• University of Kansas Health System provided the doctor and staff for physical exams
The group wanted to express its appreciation to major sponsors that continue to provide financial support that allow it to purchase the school supplies:
• Unified Government Hollywood Casino Grant
• Blue Cross Blue Shield of Kansas City
• Board of Public Utilities of Kansas City
• Providence Medical Center
• Kansas Gas Service
• Women’s Chamber of Commerce
• Sumner Class 1967
• Unity One
• Sheri Potter