Resident burned in fire on 4th Street

A resident of a home on North 4th Street received second- and third-degree burns to lower portions of both legs in a fire on Saturday.

According to a spokesman for the Kansas City, Kan., Fire Department, the fire was caused by a lawn mower and gas can stored next to the water heater.

The patient was transported nonemergency to the hospital.

The fire was reported at 5:40 p.m. June 21 at 1924 N. 4th, and crews arrived within 3 minutes. Crews saw fire showing from the side of the two-story wood-framed residence, according to the spokesman.

All the residents already had evacuated the building. The fire was extinguished in 10 minutes, the spokesman said.

The estimated loss to the building and contents was $15,000, according to the Fire Department. The pre-fire value of the home was $50,000.

The Red Cross was called to assist three adults and one child. There were no other injuries.

Severe thunderstorm warning in effect

Storm clouds moved into Wyandotte County this evening. This view is looking east at the Kansas River near Edwardsville.

A severe thunderstorm warning is in effect until 8:15 p.m. June 22 for Wyandotte County, according to the National Weather Service.

The storm was moving southeast at 25 mph. Wyandotte County is in its path.

The weather service advises resident to move to an interior room of the lowest floor of a building.

Piper duplex suffers $35,000 loss in fire

A small fire June 21 at a Piper duplex was discovered in the basement bathroom, according to the Kansas City, Kan., Fire Department.

The fire at 2:57 p.m. Saturday at 3829 N. 123rd Terrace caused $35,000 damage to the building’s structure and contents, according to a Fire Department spokesman. The structure was valued at $150,000 prior to the fire.

All occupants had already evacuated the building when firefighters arrived, within 4 minutes of the report of fire. Crews saw light smoke coming from the rear of the building, the spokesman said.

The fire was quickly, extinguished, according to the spokesman.

The fire is under investigation, the spokesman said. There were no injuries.