by Alan Hoskins
The longest running tournament of its kind in the greater Kansas City area, the 38th annual Wyandotte County Open Golf Championship will be held Saturday and Sunday, Aug. 9-10, at Sunflower Hills.
Sponsored by Danny’s Bar and Grill in Piper Plaza at 109th and Parallel Parkway, the 36-hole stroke tournament will have six men’s flights and two ladies flights. The cost is $90 and includes one practice round to be played no later than Aug. 6 and two tournament rounds. Tee times will be available on Thursday, Aug. 7.
Kansas City’s longest putt contest will be held on the putting clock on Saturday. Closest to the hole prizes will be awarded on all four par 3 holes both days along with a long drive contest on No. 10. Closest to the hole on No. 16 on Saturday will win a $100 gift certificate to the Sunflower Hills pro shop while the closest on Sunday will win a foursome at Sunflower Hills via TeeQuest.com.
In addition to three rounds of golf, the $90 entry fee will include a tee package sponsored by Danny’s Bar and Grill, a hot dog lunch on Saturday provided by Farmland Foods and a Sunday dinner provided by the Sunflower Hills snack shop. Persons may enter at Sunflower Hills; by phone at 913-573-8570; or by email at SunflowerHills@aol.com.
Construction work has resulted in some lane closures today in Wyandotte County, according to the Kansas Department of Transportation.
The short-term lane closures include:
- I-70 and K-7 interchange project. Eastbound I-70 right lane from K-7 to 134th Street will be closed for the setting of bridge girders between 9 a.m. and 3 p.m. Tuesday, June 24. Project work is scheduled to be completed June 24.
- I-435 highway signing replacement project. Weekday lane closures. Southbound I-435 from Donahoo Road to Parallel Parkway will be reduced to one open lane with varying short-term ramp closures for sign replacement work beginning at 7 p.m. on Tuesday, June 24, and reopening to all traffic at 3 a.m. on Wednesday, June 25. Project work is scheduled to be completed on Wednesday, June 25.
- I-435 highway signing replacement project. Weekday ramp closures. Southbound I-435 from Donahoo Road to Parallel Parkway will be reduced to two open lanes for sign replacement work on Tuesday, June 24, between 9 a.m. and 3 p.m. Project work is scheduled to be completed on Tuesday, June 24.
- I-70 from 110th Street to I-435 resurfacing project. Overall project work scheduled to be completed in mid-July 2014. Expect delays. Weekday overnight lane closures. Eastbound and westbound I-70 from 118th Street to I-435 will be reduced to one open lane each direction and have various short-term closures for saw and seal work on pavement joints on Monday-Friday, June 23-27 between 7 p.m. and 6 a.m. each day.
- I-635 Gibbs Road bridge project. Expect delays. Weekday overnight lane closures. Southbound I-635 right exit lane off of Metropolitan Avenue that serves as entrance lane to Shawnee Drive will be closed for bridge work on Monday-Friday, June 23-27 between 9 a.m. and 3 p.m. Project work is scheduled to be completed on Friday, June 27.
A small fire June 21 at a Piper duplex was discovered in the basement bathroom, according to the Kansas City, Kan., Fire Department.
The fire at 2:57 p.m. Saturday at 3829 N. 123rd Terrace caused $35,000 damage to the building’s structure and contents, according to a Fire Department spokesman. The structure was valued at $150,000 prior to the fire.
All occupants had already evacuated the building when firefighters arrived, within 4 minutes of the report of fire. Crews saw light smoke coming from the rear of the building, the spokesman said.
The fire was quickly, extinguished, according to the spokesman.
The fire is under investigation, the spokesman said. There were no injuries.