UG Commission to meet today

The Unified Government Commission is scheduled to meet at 5 p.m. and 7 p.m. Thursday, April 24.

The meeting will be in the Commission Chambers, lobby level of City Hall, 701 N. 7th St., Kansas City, Kan.

The 5 p.m. meeting will be a discussion about public safety overtime and out-of-class pay. Earlier this topic came up during a budget discussion.

Topics on the 7 p.m. agenda include:

– Additional funding for operating the 8th Street YMCA during the next 12 months.

– A resolution to authorize the BPU to obtain a $13 million loan from the Kansas Public Water Supply Fund administered by the Kansas Department of Health and Environment.

– A resolution to approve a Memorandum of Agreement with Kansas City, Mo., and Mid-America Regional Council as part of the OneKC Bi-State Brownfield Coalition Grant.

– A resolution allowing the asgsignment of benefits by Speedway eights LLC to Sanders Brothers Investments LLC in connection with $21 million taxable multifamily housing revenue bonds, at the Heights at Delaware Ridge project, 130th and State.

– A resolution to update the local economic development policy on tax-increment financing.

– Authorizing general obligation bonds or temporary notes for $210,000 to cover the costs of judgments and settlements, to Johnny R. Hawkins.

– An appointment of Winfred Manning to the Human Relations Commission.

– A request to change taxes on real estate, a reduction of $13,450  from the Court of Tax Appeals to the Ciuffo Family Trust. A reduction to Mo-Kan Container Services on 28 trucks, reducing tax by $10,453.

– A resolution to approve a special permit to close 12th Street between Minnesota and State temporarily on May 3 and allow alcohol on the street durimg the downtown Cinco de Mayo Festival.

– Land Bank items also are on the agenda.

The agenda for the 7 p.m. meeting is posted at www.wycokck.org.

 

 

Storm moves into Wyandotte County

Rain was falling at I-70 and I-635 in Kansas City, Kan., on Thursday morning. (KC Scout photo)

A storm has moved into the Wyandotte County area on Thursday morning.

The storms on Thursday are not expected to be severe but will lead to a wet morning commute, the National Weather Service said.

A long north-south line of storms reaches from north of Topeka to Chanute, Kan., and Neosho, Mo., and is moving toward this area.

Today’s forecast includes an 80 percent chance of showers. Thunderstorms are possible before noon, then another chance of showers and storms between noon and 4 p.m. There will be a slight chance of showers after 4 pm. Then, there is a slight chance of showers befrore 7 p.m.
South winds of 11 to 16 mph will change to the northwest in the afternoon, gusting as high as 24 mph.
Friday’s forecast will be sunny with a high of 79.
Then, there is a 20 percent chance of storms on Friday night, 30 percent chance of storms on Saturday, 40 percent chance of storms on Saturday night, 60 percent chance of storms Sunday and Sunday night, and 30 percent chance of storms Monday.

The round of thunderstorms later Saturday and overnight Saturday has a low possibility of severe weather, according to the weather service.

A more significant series of severe thunderstorms is expected to occur Sunday and Monday, the weather service said. On Sunday, the main threat will be eastern Kansas and western Missouri, shifting east on Monday to western Missouri and east of it. Large hail, damaging winds and tornadoes are all possible on Sunday and Monday, the weather service said.

Motorists drove over the Missouri River on I-635 into Kansas City, Kan., on Thursday morning, as rain fell. (KC Scout photo)
Heavy rain was falling Thursday morning on I-435 south of State Avenue in Wyandotte County. (KC Scout photo)
National Weather Service graphic

 

On Sunday and Monday, severe thunderstorms are predicted in the Kansas City area. (National Weather Service graphic)

Effort continues to prevent juvenile gambling in Wyandotte County

by Mary Rupert

An educational effort to help prevent juvenile gambling is underway in Wyandotte County.

According to Andrica Wilcoxen of the Northeast Kansas Problem Gambling Task Force, the educational effort is now in its second phase.

Information has been passed out to retailers that sell lottery tickets in Wyandotte County, pointing out that it is a felony for anyone to sell a lottery ticket to a minor, Wilcoxen said.  Ninety-seven educational packets were delivered to retailers, the packets were paid for with donated funding, and the project is continuing out of the task force’s existing budget, she said.

She said the effort’s other planned phases are for task force representatives to visit retailers with a minor and to give them a warning if a ticket is sold to a minor; then, for law enforcement to visit the retailers; and further educational training. She added the retailers were told in advance that this effort was underway.

Wilcoxen noted that this program to prevent juvenile gambling did not specifically receive state funding recently, as it was decided to transfer $2.5 million in the problem gambling fund to other state uses, such as school finance. The problem gambling fund is mandated by law from 2 percent of the casino revenues.

While its efforts will continue, the task force could get more done with increased funding, she believes.

The Northeast Kansas Problem Gambling Task Force also had requested some administrative help, but that was not funded, she added.  As volunteers, task force members all have full-time jobs and donate their time to the task force, she said.

The task force also hopes to educate the community about signs of problem gambling, she said.

Another educational program the task force is sponsoring is a youth rap contest. Students were invited to write a 25-second rap or spoken word about a solution for problem gambling, she said. The winners of the contest, selected by outside judges, will receive a cash prize and their winning entries will be played on a local radio station.

Kansas residents who have a gambling problem and want to seek help may call the problem gambling help line at 800-522-4700, or visit the website ksgamblinghelp.com.