by Kelly Rogge, KCKCC
Kansas City Kansas Community College is working with NextStep KC and the United Way of Greater Kansas City to provide free federal and state income tax preparation for qualified individuals.
The service, which starts Feb. 3, is available to taxpayers with incomes of less than $60,000. Tax assistance is on a first-come, first-served basis.
Lines form in advance, so participants are asked to arrive early, as spots will likely be full as soon as the assistance time opens. Residents are asked not to email or call the location. Walk-in clients only are accepted.
Those who qualify may go to Room 3632 in the Flint Building on the KCKCC main campus, 7250 State Ave. at the following times:
• 5 to 8 p.m. Wednesdays (with the exception of March 14)
• 9 a.m. to noon Saturdays (with the exception of March 17)
• 1 to 4 p.m. Saturdays (during February and on March 3 only)
The preparation is a joint venture between students in KCKCC’s Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program and NextStep KC., a community-based nonprofit that works to provide affordable financial services to low and moderate income families.
Taxpayers need to bring:
• Photo identification for themselves and their spouse
• Social Security cards or Individual Taxpayer Identification Numbers for everyone in the home, including dependents
• Last year’s income tax return
• All income documentation such as W-2s, 1099s, 1098s, etc.
• Daycare federal ID number
• College tuition documentation
• Student loan interest documentation
• Mortgage interest
• Property taxes
• Charitable contributions
• Health Insurance Documentations
• If elderly or disabled, please bring paid property tax or rent documentation as well
• Bank account and routing number for direct deposit. Refunds are available faster if clients use direct deposit.
The free tax preparation service is only available for federal returns as well as Kansas and Missouri state returns. It is not available for Schedule E (rental or royalty income), Schedule F (farm income) or estate and trust returns. Only 2017 returns will be prepared in February. Any returns 2014 through 2016 will be prepared in March and April.
For more information, call 913-288-7555. Information on additional tax preparation sites is available by calling the United Way’s 2-1-1 line.