by Kelly Rogge, KCKCC
Looking for a job? Want to change careers? Then mark your calendars for Kansas City Kansas Community College’s 2019 “Get Hired-Kansas City” Career Expo.
The expo is from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Thursday, April 25, at the Jack Reardon Convention Center, 520 Minnesota Ave. in Kansas City, Kansas.
The event is free and open to the public with special services for veterans. Over the last several years, a high number of those who were interviewed at the career expo were hired on the spot.
This year, more than 90 employers will be present.
The Get Hired Kansas City Career Expo is a joint effort with U.S. Rep. Sharice Davids, KCKCC President Greg Mosier and Unified Government Mayor-CEO David Alvey.
“This expo offers more than top tiered employers with open positions, we additionally have computers onsite to assist with your resumes, we have partnered with area resource providers to make sure you have interview appropriate clothing before meeting the employers, we are offering services to help those needing additional assistance keep the jobs they obtain and so much more,” said Dr. Alicia Hooks, director of the Entrepreneurship, Workforce and Career Center. “We are joining the congresswoman, the mayor and area resource providers because the community deserves our collaborative efforts.”
New this year is the location. The Career Expo is moving downtown to increase accessibility for all community members.
“We are situated to be easily accessible for area Kansans as well as Missourians and welcome everyone,” Hooks said. “This is such a pivotal point where not only employers are showing up in massive numbers with open positions, but innovations are allowing for the addition of many new and exciting careers. At the expo, we will have people onsite to help demonstrate some of those new innovations.”
Staff will be available to assist applicants with creating and printing resumes, completing online or paper applications and career assessments.
Some of the employers include –
• Airstreams Renewables, Inc.
• Allied Universal
• Arvest Bank
• Associated Wholesale Grocers
• BAC Local 15 Apprenticeship and Training Fund
• Barrier Companies
• Barts Electric
• Bearing Headquarters
• Berry Global
• Best Choice Home Health
• BNSF Railroad
• Brookdale Overland Park
• Care Haven Homes
• College Works Painting
• Community Blood Center of Greater Kansas City
• Copart, Inc.
• DC 3 JATF
• Economic Opportunity Foundation
• Emerald Healthcare, a subsidiary of Ensign Group Inc.
• Faith Technologies
• Flowers Baking Co. of Lenexa
• Foley Equipment Company
• Freightquote / C.H. Robinson
• Garmin International
• Good Samaritan Society
• Great Wolf Lodge
• Greater Kansas City Laborer’s Training Center
• Heartland Coca-Cola
• Henke Manufacturing
• Hollywood Casino
• Ingersoll Rand
• Johnson County Sheriff’s Office
• Kansas Army National Guard
• Kansas City, Kansas Police Department
• Kansas City, Kansas Public Schools
• Kansas City Marriott Downtown
• Kansas City Public Library
• Kansas City VA
• Kansas State University Global Campus
• KC Electrical JATC’
• KC Board of Public Utilities
• Keller Fire & Safety, Inc.
• Kocher + Beck USA, L.P.
• Labormax staffing
• Lansing Correctional Facility
• Leavenworth Sheriff’s Office
• Millipore Sigma
• New York Life
• North Kansas City Hospital
• Oasis Pools & Spas
• Olathe Public Schools
• Operative Plasterers’
• Cement Masons’ Apprenticeship Local #518
• Overland Park Police Department
• Pipefitters Local 533
• Providence Medical Center
• ResCare Kansas City
• Roofers Local #20
• Speedway Chrysler Dodge Jeep
• Sprint Center
• SPX Cooling Technologies
• Swope Health Services
• Teamsters Local 541
• TransAm Trucking, Inc.
• Unified Government of WyCo/KCK
• University of Kansas Health System
• University of Saint Mary
• US Air Force
• Westin & Sheraton Hotel @ Crown Center
• Wyandot, Inc.
• YRC Freight
The career expo’s resource partners include Workforce Partnership, KCK Housing Authority, Made Men, J.E. Dunn, Connections to Success, The Yellow Brick, Greenbush, Catholic Charities and NBC Community Development.
For more information on the Get Hired Kansas City Career Expo, call 913-288-7880.