Late goal costs Sporting KC win

Sporting KC forward Krisztian Nemeth reacted to his red card as midfielder Ilie Sanchez pleaded his case. (Photo copyright 2019 by Brian Turrel)

by Brian Turrel

Sporting Kansas City let a stoppage time goal slip by, undoing 90 minutes of high-quality play and settling for a 1-1 draw against the Vancouver Whitecaps at Children’s Mercy Park on Saturday night.

Sporting nearly overcame the 51st minute loss of striker Krisztian Nemeth, who was sent off for a dangerous tackle. Instead Sporting extended its winless streak to seven games.

Head coach Peter Vermes praised his team after the match.

“I think our team played excellent tonight,” Vermes said. “We worked hard. We gave nothing away.”

Nemeth was responsible for the team’s only goal, which came in the 37th minute. Johnny Russell found some open ground on the right side and bounced a shot off Vancouver goalkeeper Maxime Crepeau. The rebound fell to Nemeth, who decoyed defender Doneil Henry and then slipped the ball into the open net.

After Nemeth’s disqualification, Sporting continued to selectively press its attack while parrying Vancouver’s possession advantage. They picked up some offensive momentum from Yohan Croizet, who came on in the 81st minute.

However, in the last minute of stoppage time, as the crowd prepared to celebrate a victory, Vancouver’s Ali Adnan slipped a pass to left winger Derek Cornelius directly in front of the goal for an equalizer.

Sporting KC will play next at home at 5 p.m. Sunday, May 26, against the Seattle Sounders.

Kansas City Chiefs punter Dustin Colquitt led cheers before the start of the match. Colquitt also participated in the pre-game Faith and Family presentation and bought popcorn for the entire stadium at halftime. (Photo copyright 2019 by Brian Turrel)
Ilie Sanchez took a shot in the first half but was blocked by Vancouver midfielder Andy Rose. (Photo copyright 2019 by Brian Turrel)
Forward Krisztian Nemeth was tied up by Vancouver defender Erik Godoy on a corner kick. (Photo copyright 2019 by Brian Turrel)
Forward Johnny Russell raced for a loose ball near the top of the penalty area. (Photo copyright 2019 by Brian Turrel)
Head coach Peter Vermes didn’t disagree with Nemeth’s red card, but had stern words for the officials on other matters after the match. (Photo copyright 2019 by Brian Turrel)
Johnny Russell weaved his way through the Vancouver defense. (Photo copyright 2019 by Brian Turrel)
Sporting KC defender Nick Hasler tried to get around Vancouver defender Russell Teibert. (Photo copyright 2019 by Brian Turrel)
Midfielder Felipe Gutierrez split the Vancouver defense to put a shot on goal in the second half. (Photo copyright 2019 by Brian Turrel)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *