Link Year Prep wins torrid 3-point shootout over KCKCC

by Alan Hoskins, KCKCC

If you like offensive college basketball, you missed a highly entertaining three-point shootout in the opening round play of the Keith Lindsey Classic at Kansas City Kansas Community College Friday night.

Both KCKCC and Link Year Prep knocked down 14 three-pointers – the Blue Devils at a sizzling 71.4 percent clip. Unfortunately, it was Link Year Prep that was left standing 81-76 thanks to a 15-5 finish in the final 5½ minutes.

Still seeking their first win, the Blue Devils are right back in action tonight, as hosts of Livin’ The Dream at 6 o’clock.

Offensively, the Blue Devils got a rash of strong performances as all five starters scored in double figures with two coming away with double doubles. Guard Mike Lee, in fact, just missed a triple double by two rebounds, finishing with 18 points, 12 assists and eight rebounds. Jon Murray had the other double double with 10 points and 11 rebounds.

Sophomore Kellen Turner led the three-point assault, hitting 5-of-9 to lead the Blue Devils with 21 points. Freshman Lane Hartley was 4-of-7 for all of his 12 points; Daniel Kingcannon 3-of-5 and 14 points as the Blue Devils were a sizzling 14-of-25. The Blue Devils were also guilty of just five turnovers in a remarkably fast-paced game in which neither team had more than 10 fouls.

However, it wasn’t enough to overcome 50.8 percent Link Year Prep shooting, a 39-35 edge in rebounding and 12-of-15 free throws (KCKCC shot just three, made them all). Also, KCKCC led 50-42 at halftime on 54.1 percent shooting but managed just 12-of-36 second half shots (.333).,

The Blue Devils still led 76-71 on a conventional 3-point play by Kingcannon with 5:48 left but were able to manage only one field goal the rest of the way and it didn’t come until they trailed 86-78. Rylan Bergersen, who had seven three-pointers in 14 attempts and led all scorers with 25 points, started Link Year Prep’s 15-5 finish with a trey and then broke an 81-81 tie with another with 1:40 to go and Deandre Jones clinched the win with a field goal and three free throws in the final 36 seconds.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *