by Ashlee Lamar
Have you ever had a night where you have no idea of what to cook for dinner?
Well here’s a recipe that you can make on the weekend and then eat throughout the week, or even freeze and eat as leftovers at a later date.
This is a quick recipe for pasta bake that has been modified to incorporate some healthy ingredients. It utilizes whole grain pasta and skinless chicken breast which is a lean meat.
This recipe also calls for spinach, which adds in vitamins a, c and k, and multiple antioxidants. The tomatoes have lycopene, which is also an antioxidant that’s beneficial to our bodies. Enjoy.
Healthy Weeknight Pasta Bake
• 3 cups whole wheat pasta
• 1 (9-ounce) package of fresh spinach leaves
• 1 pound uncooked skinless chicken breast, diced into pieces
• 1 jar (24 ounces) spaghetti sauce
• 1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes, drained
• 1 ½ cups shredded, skim milk mozzarella cheese
• 1/3 cup parmesan cheese
1. Preheat oven to 375 F.
2. Cook pasta as directed on package. Add spinach to boiling water during the last minute of cooking. Drain and set aside.
3. Cook chicken in large nonstick skillet sprayed with cooking spray on medium-high heat for until brown. Drain.
4. Stir in spaghetti sauce, pasta and half the parmesan cheese.
5. Spoon into 13 x 9 inch pan. Top with remaining cheeses.
6. Bake 20 minutes.
Ashlee Lamar is a registered dietitian at Providence Medical Center.