Several highway projects are ongoing in Wyandotte County, according to the Kansas Department of Transportation.
KDOT construction projects affecting traffic include:
I-635 pavement patching and overlay project
Northbound and southbound I-635 traffic will be restricted to one lane using a nightly lane drop between Foster St and the BNSF railroad bridge, and from 43rd St. bridge to K-5 junction.
• The time of the closures will be from 7 p.m. to 5 a.m. Monday to Friday and 7 p.m. to 8 a.m. Saturday to Sunday.
• Ramps will be intermittently closed throughout the duration of the project with a 3-day advanced notice for their closures. Work began on June 15 and the completion date for this project is November 20.
For pavement patching:
Ramp closures, 10 p.m. Thursday, July 30, to 5 a.m. Sunday, August 9.
• Southbound I-635, Merriam Drive on and off ramps,
• Southbound I-635, Shawnee Drive on and off ramps,
• Southbound I-635, Metropolitan Avenue on and off ramps,
• Southbound I-635, Swartz Road on ramp. New (ongoing)
Ramp closures, 10 p.m. Thursday, August 6, to 5 a.m. Monday, August 10.
• Southbound K-5 to I-635. New (ongoing)
Ramp closures, 10 p.m. Friday, August 7 to 5 a.m. Friday, August 14.
• Northbound I-635 at Parallel Parkway,
• Northbound I-635 at 38th Street,
• Northbound I-635 at Leavenworth Road,
• Northbound I-635 at K-5. New (ongoing)
Ramp closures, 10 p.m. Saturday, August 8 to Sunday, August 16.
• Southbound I-635 at Leavenworth Road,
• Southbound I-635 at 38th Street,
• Southbound I-635 at Parallel Parkway. New (ongoing)
Reconfiguration of the Turner Diagonal interchange in Wyandotte County
A new diverging diamond interchange to be built, scheduled to reopen November.
The following ramps are currently closed until Sept. 8. The ramps include:
• Ramp from eastbound I-70 to southbound Turner Diagonal Freeway,
• Ramp from eastbound I-70 to northbound Turner Diagonal Freeway,
• Ramp from northbound Turner Diagonal to westbound I-70,
• Ramp from southbound Turner Diagonal to westbound I-70.
• Ramp from southbound Turner Diagonal Freeway to eastbound I-70,
• Ramp from northbound Turner Diagonal Freeway to eastbound I-70,
• Ramp from westbound I-70 to southbound Turner Diagonal Freeway,
• Ramp from westbound I-70 to northbound College Parkway,
• Turner Diagonal Freeway from State Avenue to Riverview Avenue.
Lewis and Clark Viaduct bridge replacement
Westbound I-70 will be closed past Broadway Blvd (in Missouri NW corner of the downtown loop) to 3rd St in Kansas City, Kansas for bridge replacement.
• Girder unloading, eastbound I-70 closed, 1:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. Wednesday, Aug. 5. New (rescheduled due to heavy rain and high river level)
o I-70 eastbound closed intermittently from 15-20 minutes over the three-hour period.
o Ramps closed – eastbound I-70 on ramps at Washington Avenue, Minnesota Avenue and Fairfax Trafficway.
• Ramps from 5th St, Beardsley Rd, Independence Ave at Delaware Ave and I-35 to westbound I-70 (in Missouri) will be closed for the Westbound I-70 bridge replacement.
• Ramps from westbound I-70 to Minnesota Ave, Washington Blvd, and Fairfax Trafficway will be closed for the westbound I-70 bridge replacement.
o Due to severe weather in 2019, these closures will continue into 2020. A new completion estimate will be made pending pier construction progress which is subject to high water conditions.
43rd Street bridge repair
Northbound and southbound I-635 traffic will be restricted to 2 lanes at 43rd St for bridge repairs.
• Concrete barrier will be used across the bridge for the duration of this project. Work began on June 19th and the completion date for this project is expected to be November 20.
• Northbound on-ramp from westbound State Ave will be closed for the duration of the project.
Railyard bridge repair
Northbound and southbound I-635 traffic will be restricted to two lanes at the railyard bridges just south of K-32 (Kansas Ave.).
• Concrete barrier will be used across the north abutments of the bridges for the duration of the project.
• Work began on July 6, and the completion date is expected to be November 20. Northbound off-ramp to K-32 (Kansas Ave.) and southbound on-ramp from K-32 (Kansas Ave.) will both be closed for the duration of the project.
The KDOT spokesman urged all motorists to be alert and obey the warning signs when approaching and driving through a highway work zone. To stay aware of all road construction projects across Kansas go to www.kandrive.org or call 5-1-1. Motorists are urged to drive safely and always wear a seat belt, according to the spokesman.