Highway work is scheduled to continue on I-70 in the Turner Diagonal area this week, weather-permitting, according to the Kansas Department of Transportation.
Reconfiguration of the Turner Diagonal interchange in Wyandotte County includes work to build a new diverging diamond interchange, scheduled to reopen in November.
Ramps that are currently closed until Sept. 8 include:
• Ramp from eastbound I-70 to southbound Turner Diagonal,
• Ramp from eastbound I-70 to northbound Turner Diagonal,
• Ramp from northbound Turner Diagonal to westbound I-70,
• Ramp from southbound Turner Diagonal to westbound I-70.
• Ramp from southbound Turner Diagonal to eastbound I-70,
• Ramp from northbound Turner Diagonal to eastbound I-70,
• Ramp from westbound I-70 to southbound Turner Diagonal,
• Ramp from westbound I-70 to northbound College Parkway,
• Turner Diagonal from State Avenue to Riverview Avenue.
Other KDOT projects this week, weather permitting, include:
For bridge utility work, northbound and southbound 3rd Street in Kansas City, Kansas, will be reduced to single lane traffic under the westbound I-70 bridge, from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., Monday, Aug. 10.
KDOT construction projects affecting traffic:
I-635 pavement patching and overlay project
Northbound and southbound I-635 traffic will be restricted to one lane using a nightly lane drop between Foster Street and the BNSF railroad bridge, and from 43rd Street bridge to K-5 junction.
The time of the closures will be from 7 p.m. to 5 a.m. Monday to Friday and 7 p.m. to 8 a.m. Saturday to Sunday.
Ramps will be intermittently closed throughout the duration of the project with a 3-day advanced notice for their closures. Work began on June 15 and the completion date for this project is Nov. 20.
For pavement patching:
Ramp closures, 10 p.m. Thursday, Aug. 6, to 5 a.m. Monday, Aug. 10.
• Southbound K-5 to I-635.
Ramp closures, 10 p.m. Friday, Aug. 7 to 5 a.m. Friday, Aug. 14.
• Northbound I-635 at Parallel Parkway,
• Northbound I-635 at 38th Street,
• Northbound I-635 at Leavenworth Road,
• Northbound I-635 at K-5.
Ramp closures, 10 p.m. Saturday, Aug. 8, to Sunday, Aug. 16.
• Southbound I-635 at Leavenworth Road,
• Southbound I-635 at 38th Street,
• Southbound I-635 at Parallel Parkway.
Lewis and Clark Viaduct bridge replacement
Westbound I-70 will be closed past Broadway Boulevard (in Missouri northwest corner of the downtown loop) to 3rd Street in Kansas City, Kansas, for bridge replacement.
Girder unloading, eastbound I-70 closed, 1:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday, Aug. 10.
• I-70 eastbound closed intermittently from 15-20 minutes over the three-hour period.
• Ramps closed – eastbound I-70 on ramps at Washington Avenue, Minnesota Avenue and Fairfax Trafficway.
• Ramps from 5th Street, Beardsley Road, Independence Avenue at Delaware Avenue and I-35 to westbound I-70 (in Missouri) will be closed.
• Ramps from westbound I-70 to Minnesota Avenue, Washington Boulevard, and Fairfax Trafficway will be closed.
o Due to severe weather in 2019, these closures will continue into 2020. A new completion estimate will be made pending pier construction progress, which is subject to high water conditions.
43rd Street bridge repair
Northbound and southbound I-635 traffic will be restricted to 2 lanes at 43rd Street for bridge repairs.
• Concrete barrier will be used across the bridge for the duration of this project. Work began on June 19th and the completion date for this project is expected to be Nov. 20.
• Northbound on-ramp from westbound State Avenue will be closed for the duration of the project.
Railyard bridge repair
Northbound and southbound I-635 traffic will be restricted to two lanes at the railyard bridges just south of K-32 (Kansas Avenue).
• Concrete barrier will be used across the north abutments of the bridges for the duration of the project.
• Work began on July 6, and the completion date is expected to be Nov. 20. Northbound off-ramp to K-32 (Kansas Avenue) and southbound on-ramp from K-32 (Kansas Avenue) will both be closed for the duration of the project.
Drivers are asked to be alert and obey the warning signs when approaching and driving through a highway work zone, according to a KDOT spokesman. To stay aware of all road construction projects across Kansas, go to www.kandrive.org or call 5-1-1. The spokesman stated motorists should drive safely and always wear their seat belts.