First day of in-person school in KCK district

Students at Grant Elementary School, 1510 N. 4th St., Kansas City, Kansas, returned to in-person school on Wednesday, March 31. (Photo by Kamron Porter, Kansas City, Kansas, Public Schools communications staff)

The first day of in-person school in the Kansas City, Kansas, Public Schools district went very well on Wednesday, according to district spokesman Edwin Birch.

“I think people were just happy to see people and to see kids,” Birch said. There was laughter, smiling faces and “it was awesome,” he said.

Students in kindergarten through 12th grade returned to in-person school after having been at home for remote learning for around a year because of the COVID-19 pandemic. There were safety precautions in place, including masks, social distancing and clear barriers. Students at the elementary level are sitting in small groups, or pods, within the classroom.

Until now, most students in the district had been in remote learning through the internet. A small group of students, including some high school seniors, some special education students and some students with internet connectivity problems, came back to in-person school earlier this year.

Teachers in Kansas City, Kansas, were able to be vaccinated before they returned to school.

Birch, executive director of communications for the district, said more than 80 percent of the district’s parents selected in-person instruction for their students. The other 20 percent opted to stay at home in remote learning, he added.

Classrooms at Grant Elementary School and at other schools in the Kansas City, Kansas, Public Schools district look a little different as in-person school reopened Wednesday. Students are wearing masks, there are clear plastic barriers and students are sitting in pods (small groups at tables). (Photo by Kamron Porter, Kansas City, Kansas, Public Schools communications staff)
The first day of in-person school was on Wednesday at Grant Elementary School, Kansas City, Kansas. (Photo by Kamron Porter, Kansas City, Kansas, Public Schools communications staff)
The first day of in-person school was on Wednesday at Grant Elementary School, Kansas City, Kansas. (Photo by Kamron Porter, Kansas City, Kansas, Public Schools communications staff)
The first day of in-person school was on Wednesday at Grant Elementary School, Kansas City, Kansas. (Photo by Kamron Porter, Kansas City, Kansas, Public Schools communications staff)

Deadline tomorrow for submitting FAFSA financial aid form

The deadline is April 1 for submitting a FAFSA form for student financial aid for certain Kansas scholarships.

The April 1 Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) deadline is a priority deadline set by Kansas for certain student financial aid programs.

The FAFSA information is used by Kansas to determine eligibility for programs offered by the state, according to a webpage for Kansas student financial aid, https://www.kansasregents.org/students/student_financial_aid/general_info.

Students first send in their FAFSA applications by April 1, and then information in those applications is used in applying for state scholarships, according to the webpage.

The FAFSA applications also can be used for other scholarships offered by colleges and other organizations. There is a later FAFSA submission deadline for some of these other scholarships.

The FAFSA form is online at https://studentaid.gov/h/apply-for-aid/fafsa.

KCK student named to dean’s list in Nebraska

Marcus Davis, Kansas City, Kansas, has been named to the dean’s list for the fall semester at Peru State College, Peru, Nebraska.

Students on the dean’s list have a grade point average between 3.5 and 3.99 for the semester, have completed at least 12 graded credit hours during the past semester, have no incomplete grades for the semester and are seeking their first degree.